Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Snetterton track evening

















I had booked a track evening with "Focused events" at my local circuit, Snetterton, its a track I know so a good place to set the CB up. I arrived quite early in the afternoon so I wasn't rushing around, so after signing on I took the bike for the noise test, it has to be under 102dcb! Riding a Supermono for the past 6 years has always created problems at the noise test and a few times its cost me track time when they have said the bikes too loud! As I am new to CB500 I was unsure of what to expect, anyway I arrived at the noise test are and the Marshal asked if I knew what I had tio rev the bike at? I thought it was 5000rpm so he suggested we run at 4500,5000 and 5500rpm, when he had finished he had a puzzled look on his face, it turns out that the reading was the same at all levels......97dcb, well within the limit, so with the tested sticker on the bike I waited to be called for my first 20 minute session.
When I first got onto the circuit it felt quite strange sitting upright and the first corner I found myself turning in way too early, the first 3 laps were behind an instructor at low speed, however I had booked for the slower group but found myself out with the fast group. I opted to change groups and would be out in the next 10 minutes. My first few laps at speed was a learning curve as the bike handled so differently from Gordon and it was so easy to turn into the corners, and with the wide/high bars it was effortless getting the bike upright out of corners too. My second session was even better with me not being overtaken for 3 laps! mind you I did think something was amiss so looked behind to see a dozen or so 600's bearing down on me!!
My last session was the pinnacle of the evening, I managed to get on the back of a Kawasaki ZX10, obviously he got away from me down the atraights but I was able to get passed on the bends, I even found myself braking really late into the Esses at the end of Revett Straight and just gliding round the right hander. All too soon the session was over but I really enjoyed riding the CB and unlike riding the Mono's I didn't want it to end. When I was enquiring about racing CB's I was told that after I had been on one I would have a smile on my face! I think the last photo substanciates that theory!
I will be racing the CB for the first time at Brands Hatch at the end of August, I have a lot of family and friends coming so hopefully I can make their journey worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment